Updated on Feb 22, 2023
Used furniture is much less expensive than new furniture. It’s an excellent alternative if you’re looking forhome decor on a budget and want to add some unique furniture items to liven things up. By picking the right pieces, your home can embody the peak of your style. Here are 5 tips from Adria Workshop about how to buy used furniture to make sure you're getting a bargain for your buck.
- How to Buy Furniture to Decorate Your Space?
- 13 Common Home Decorating Mistakes That Make Your House Look Messy
- The 15 Great Home Inspiration Websites To Get Interior Design Ideas
Table of contents [Show]
- How to buy used furniture? 5 tips when buying secondhand furniture
- Pros and cons of used furniture
- What used furniture should you buy?
Decide where to buy secondhand furniture
Firstly, you should consider where to shop before buying used furniture. There are some places where you can buy used furniture locally in good condition at reasonable prices. For instance, thrift stores, consignment shops, yard sales, and estate sales. The biggest benefit of shopping in a brick-and-mortar store is that you can see exactly how big the furniture is and get the chance to inspect it for any imperfections.
However, if you don’t have the time or condition to go directly to a used furniture store, you can choose an online option. Nowadays, with the development of the Internet, it is not difficult to buy used furniture online. Online home decor affordable stores such as Facebook Marketplace, Nextdoor, Esty, and 1stDibs are great platforms to buy and sell used furniture.
Find out the origin of the used furniture
The golden rule for knowing how to buy used furniture is to investigate its history. Experts recommend that you ask about the piece's origin, where it came from, its original cost, age, and condition. This thing helps you determine its quality and whether or not it is worth purchasing.
Check the quality of second-hand furniture
When you buy used furniture online or locally, always make sure that the piece is sturdy and in usable condition. A lot of used furniture is sold as-is with no return policy, meaning you can't return it for any reason. To avoid buying something that doesn't work, test it out carefully at the used furniture outlet.
You can sit on the couch for more than a few minutes to make sure it's comfortable. You should also open all the drawers and cabinets to inspect the furniture for mold and other problems before you buy it.
Consider warranty and return policy
Another factor in knowing how to buy used furniture wisely is checking its warranty and return policy. This factor is critical in reducing risks such as not receiving the item or receiving a piece that is different from the picture. Customers are more likely to buy a product if it has a long warranty period and a clear return policy.
Pros and cons of used furniture
Advantages of used furniture
- Cost savings is one of the most obvious benefits of buying used. If you want to do home decor on a budget, used furniture is the best option.
- Buying used furniture will also help preserve nature, and it is an eco-friendly furniture choice. The furniture industry is one of the least sustainable and most polluting industries. By reusing items, you are helping to reduce waste and recycling costs at the same time.
- Get unique, one-of-a-kind items available at the used furniture store.
Disadvantages of used furniture
- Used furniture may contain damages such as wear, tears, and rotten wood. However, you can avoid buying damaged furniture, by inspecting it carefully beforehand and ensuring that it is in good condition.
- When you buy used furniture online, it can be a bit risky if the item will differ significantly from the images. To avoid these problems, be sure to buy the furniture from a reliable and valid store, and see the item before paying for it to ensure it meets your expectations.
What used furniture should you buy?
Wood furniture, especially solid wood furniture, is extremely expensive. Instead of spending a huge amount of money, when deciding how to decorate your home, you can save money by purchasing used wood furniture. Not only can vintage wood furniture be cost-saving, but it is often higher quality than new furniture and will last you for years to come. Plus, if you are lucky, you can find antique furniture, which costs a fortune.
Explore more: 7 Timber Mid-Century Modern Dining Tables for a Meal
Living room furniture
When you buy used furniture, you can find a lot of different living room sets or one-of-a-kind pieces that range from traditional to modern to weird. Whatever style you prefer, you can have a chance to pick the type of furniture that suits your style, preference, and space.
- 9 Ottoman Chair Ideas for an Elegant Living Room
- 15 Best Home Decor Ideas For Living Room You'll Love
- 15 Modern Small Living Room Ideas to Make Your Space Bigger.
- 15 Inviting Contemporary Living Room Ideas
A kitchen requires more appliances than any other room. If you’re worried about buying all of that, you can buy some items secondhand to save quite a bit of money. Some pots and pans are more durable than others, especially cast-iron ones. Even if it’s old, simply cleaning and seasoning the item will make it as good as new.
Related: 15 Mid-Century Modern Kitchen Ideas
Household appliances and electronics
If you don't have a lot of money, buying used electrical appliances such as refrigerators, washing machines, and so on is a good idea. Many families like to buy the newest things for their homes, so they often throw away old things that are still in good shape.
Looking for places to buy used furniture is going to take a little more time than buying new, but the deals you can get for those extra minutes of research can be well worth the effort. Plus, when you have found where to get these pieces of furniture, you should also know how to buy the perfect used furniture for your house. When shopping for used furniture, follow these 5 tips from Adria Workshop to find the perfect piece.